Saved by Love

 Dear Reader,

So often we hear about God's salvation and mercy. But why did God need to show mercy to us and why do we need salvation? What do we need to be saved from?

Before we start I would like to consider a piece of Scripture in Luke 7:36-47: An immoral woman brought an expensive alabaster flask with oil to anoint Jesus' feed. She wept as she wiped his feet with her hair and kissed his feet. A Pharisee was indignant that Jesus would receive this affection by such a "sinner." Jesus responds in verse 47:

“I tell you, her sins—and they are many—have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love.”

For a large part of my life, I didn't realise how much God has forgiven me for.  I felt like I have done quite well and that there was "little" to forgive. My heart was often like that of the Pharisee: I took pleasure in my spiritual performance and I didn't think God had to forgive me for "a lot" of wrong I have done in my life. I thought I was doing well and  I was on my way heaven. But I was blinded by my own pride and self-righteousness.

Now we can start! Why do we need salvation? I was 24 when the penny dropped for me. I had a coffee with the Bible School dean of my church where I wanted to complain about the teachings at a session. During our discussion the most amazing thing happened: I realised for the first time in my life that I was on my way to hell... My heart responded in gratitude and in worship of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross for me. It is here that I realised: he who has been forgiven much, loves much.

But why was I blinded for so long? Why didn't I understand my depravity sooner?

I think the answer lies within our own inability to judge ourselves. We often compare ourselves with those who seem really "messed up" and we feel better about ourselves: if society were to be placed on a scale with Adolf Hitler on the far left and Mother Teresa on the far right, then I would give myself a solid 80% for my performance. But God does not see us this way.  When God looks at the scale, even Mother Teresa falls short:

Isaiah 64:6 NLT: "When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags."

The wording here is quite strong, since "filthy rags" refers to menstrual cloth. This is how much God despises our works when we try to be righteous in our own efforts. We cannot become righteous by trying to obey the Law.

Romans 3:20 NLT: "For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are."

God's Law is like a magnifying glass: It cannot cleanse us from impurities - it can only expose impurities. God's Law only shows us how sinful we are. We cannot obey it in our own strength. By beholding His Law, we become aware of our sins and our shortcomings. 

Romans 3:23 NLT: "For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard."

All of us have messed up in some degree or another. We weren't just missing the mark... We were dead in our sins.

Ephesians 2:1 NLT:"Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins.”

 How does this affect our standing with God? 

Romans 6:23 NLT: "For the wages of sin is death."

We all deserve to be punished because of our sins before God.

But maybe you are not convinced yet... Maybe you still feel "okay" in your estimation.

James 2:10 NLT: "For the person who keeps all of the laws except one is as guilty as a person who has broken all of God’s laws."

So if I break ONE law, it is as bad as breaking ALL of God's laws! Ouch!

Jesus raises the standard of righteousness even further. Have you ever been angry with someone?

Matthew 5:21-22 NLT: “You have heard that our ancestors were told, ‘You must not murder. If you commit murder, you are subject to judgment.’ But I say, if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment! If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the court. And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell.

Anger and hatred towards someone else opens us up to God's judgement!

Furthermore, have you ever looked at someone with lustful thoughts?

Matthew 5:27-28 NLT: “You have heard the commandment that says, ‘You must not commit adultery.’ But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

All of us are law-breakers. All of us have sinned against God. All of us deserve His punishment in hell... This is a sobering thought. And now for the Good News:

Romans 5:8 NLT: “But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.”

We have been forgiven MUCH! Jesus has made a way for us to be saved from God's righteous judgment. He is merciful and just to forgive us our sins if we repent and turn to Him.

 

Comments

  1. Dankie Kobus so waar. Alles is net GENADE. Dankie Jesus vir dit wat U hir my aan die kruis BETAAL het. AMEN

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts